Today I wanted to talk to you about the importance of backing up your work and files.
There are different types of back ups, different types of files to back up and different places to save back ups. I know it can be a bit confusing.
But… if something bad happens (eg fire, flood, other natural disaster, the phone breaks or the computer crashes etc)… You will not be able to recover any of your documents or work if you haven’t done a back up!
To minimise loss and inconvenience, here are 10 things to back up:
- Accounting software
- Client files
- Email list
- Computer programs
- Photos (on your phone and computer)
- Contacts (name, phone number, address)
- Identification documents (passport, licence, birth certificate, marriage certificate etc)
- Tax documents
- Legal documents (Wills, Power of Attorney, Age Care Directive etc)
There are 2 main places to save back ups:
- External Hard drive or SD card
- Cloud based drive (iCloud, Google, OneDrive, Dropbox etc)
Why am I telling you all this? Well, recently a client was making some changes and having some updates done for their website by a third party and lost it all. The changes and updates did not go to plan and they were faced with the possibility that all their work for a membership site would have to be re-done. Eek! Thankfully, there was a back up of the site and it was restored. Phew!
So please, make it a habit to regularly back up your files, photos, website and other important information.
If you need any help with setting up your back up systems please ask. I’ll be happy to help.
PS: Excuse me while I go and back up my files and photos. BRB